|Ideas - Niagara Falls Citizens for Democracy|
This Article is By: Niagara Falls Citizens for Democracy On May. - 24, 2006
Niagara Falls Citizens for Democracy
The Niagara Falls Citizens for Democracy (NFCD) seeks to promote accountability, transparency, democracy and responsible government at Niagara Falls City Hall.
To this end, the NFCD will act as an independent organization working to improve the democratic standard in Niagara Falls municipal governance.
* Work to re-enfranchise the residents of the City of Niagara Falls by encouraging community participation in Niagara Falls municipal government.
* Seek to enhance the quality of debate at City Hall while encouraging an atmosphere of genuine respect through all levels of the municipal decision-making process.
* Encourage the implementation of polices which improve the accountability and responsiveness of Niagara Falls municipal government.
* Encourage the implementation of policies which support balanced growth and enhance the quality of life for Niagara Falls residents and taxpayers.
* Conduct democracy audits and report to the public on Niagara Falls City Council's handling of sensitive and/or high-profile issues.
* Examine and report on the policies, programs, platforms, ethics, affiliations and political activities of elected municipal representatives in the City of Niagara Falls.
* Identify and support municipal politicians demonstrating ability, integrity and vision
Article One - Name
The name of this organization is the Niagara Falls Citizens for Democracy (NFCD)
Article Two - Purpose
The purpose of the NFCD is to promote accountability, transparency, democracy, and responsible government at Niagara Falls City Hall and at the Regional Municipality of Niagara.
Article Three - Membership
All municipal electors in the City of Niagara Falls shall be deemed eligible for membership in the NFCD. Any such person shall become a member seven days after the payment of dues in the amount established in Article Four of this Constitution.
Article Four - Dues
Annual dues for the NFCD shall be $2 per member.
Article Five - Executive
The NFCD shall elect an executive on an annual basis. The executive shall be responsible for developing policies, planning events, and all administrative matters.
Article Six - Meetings
General meetings of the NFCD shall be held at least once each year, and at such additional times as the executive shall deem necessary. One meeting each year shall be designated as the annual meeting for the election of the executive. Quorum at a general meeting shall be ten members in good standing.
Article Seven - Amendments
This constitution may be amended at any time by a two-thirds majority vote at an NFCD general meeting.